Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Goodbyes

Coco - 41x30cm pastels
As animal lovers we know that we are likely to outlive our four legged companions. Despite knowing that, when the time comes to say goodbye to the animal who has been a constant in our lives for years, the pain is almost unbearable.

My cousin lost her dog Coco to cancer recently. This is her portrait. Michelle saw a tiny malnourished puppy at the SPCA 12 years ago. She knew she couldn't go home without the pitiful bundle and so Coco became one of the lucky ones. She lived in a home where she was doted on and loved. She shared an incredibly deep bond with my cousin, which of course, made saying a final goodbye devastatingly difficult.


I said a very sad and reluctant goodbye to my beloved horse Flying Promise. He'd been struggling with a series of health problems for the last couple of years. It's a long story, but in short, I'm incredibly grateful for having spent the last 5 months of his life caring for him myself and not having to depend on someone else to do a good job.

It was an honour to know and love this kind and gentle Thoroughbred. I'm really going to miss him.

No comments: